Essay writing is generally not on the top anyone’s listing of favorite things you can do. It may be tough to put applying for grants paper, prove a point, or create a flow that is coherent of. Essay writing is also more difficult when it needs to be done in a language that isn’t your own. Because of this, it is necessary for English as a language that is secondESL) teachers to incorporate numerous examples, activities, and helpful strategies throughout the essay writing process so students have the ability to navigate through any struggles that will arise. This lesson will provide activities that are several ESL teachers can practice making use of their students.
The first thing you will have to do is make fully sure your ESL students know the way an essay should be structured. Generally, it is advisable to introduce students into the traditional 5-paragraph essay structure:
- 1st Paragraph: The introduction, which lets readers know very well what the essay will be about.
- 2nd-4th Paragraphs: your body paragraphs, which provide arguments and evidence to support the point that is main of essay.
- 5th Paragraph: The conclusion, which summarizes the body paragraphs and reiterates the point that is main of essay.
Keeping a visual for this structure will allow students to begin to see the whole picture they are working towards while writing an essay so they are aware of what. It can be very challenging for ESL students to put their thoughts to be able; therefore, it is essential to introduce activities and methods which will help result in the writing process easier.
Essay Writing Activities
The following activities can be properly used when you look at the ESL classroom to simply help students better understand the essay writing process. Make modifications as required to match students that are best’ English and writing ability.
Hamburger Essay Builder
This could be a organizer that is graphic or piece-by-piece project, to aid students better understand the structure of an essay.
Get access risk-free for thirty days, create an account just.
No obligation, cancel anytime.
Select an interest to preview related courses:
- Give students an outline image of a hamburger
- Provide label sections for each associated with the hamburger parts (top bun, tomato, lettuce, meat, bottom bun)
- Have students label each right the main hamburger to represent each part of the essay (introduction, body paragraphs, and conclusion).
- Provide students with cut outs shaped like each of the hamburger parts.
- Have students write out of the description for every single for the corresponding essay parts to their buns, lettuce, tomato, and meat.
- When finished, have students assemble their hamburger that is essay to as reference if they begin writing their first essays.
Make use of this fun activity to possess students practice their writing skills as they race contrary to the clock. The item with this activity would be to have students focus more about getting words on paper, and less on worrying all about punctuation, grammar, and spelling. Be sure they know errors will likely not count. The goal is to write as much as possible in the right time frame to allow them to observe how much that amount will increase each time the game is completed in class.
- Provide a list of interesting topics students can choose from (favorite hobby, childhood memory, future goals, embarrassing story, family tradition).
- Tell students they shall write for a designated amount of time (2-5 minutes dependant on the age/language level) without stopping.
- When completed, allow students to see their writing aloud, or in pairs, for them to enjoy the other person’s work.
That is a great solution to help take the pressure away from ESL students when it comes to writing. Be encouraging while making certain to keep the activity lighthearted and fun.
Creative Writing Activities
Have students practice their writing skills by incorporating mini writing that is creative to your day to day routine. Allowing students to write from a variety of angles will help them feel more comfortable utilizing the English language in written form.
- Use writing prompts that will spark students’ interests by having them write on their sport that is favorite, book, hobby, vacation, or holiday.
- Have best website to get essays students write a sequence piece explaining just how to do something they are good at (cooking a meal, scoring a soccer goal, writing a blog post).
- Ask students a viewpoint question; for example: could you rather cut costs or spend it on a holiday? Do it is thought by you is important to do homework? Have them write out their answer, along with a description for that answer.
- Pose the question, ”What could you do if. ” and add in various scenarios. For instance, ”What can you do if you got lost in a big city? What could you do if you won a million dollars?” Have students write down their responses to made up the scenarios.
Help students identify common grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors, that may have popped up in their creative writing pieces by having them operate in pairs to edit one another’s work. Emphasizing this step that is important help develop your ESL students’ self-editing skills.
Argumentative Essay Debates
To help make the process for writing an essay that is argumentative, hold debates in class to show students simple tips to collect supportive evidence, examples, and details before they begin writing. Make note of brand new vocabulary, concepts, and ideas from the board so students can better understand the pieces that are key use in this essay style.
- Divide your class into two groups.
- Introduce a topic that is debatable students should be able to understand.
- Write out a couple of higher-order questions for each group to talk about.
- Ask the questions aloud; let the debate start with moderation and additional questioning that is higher-ordering.
- Have students make notes of the discussed points that are main examples, support, and oppositions for their side of the argument.
As soon as the debate is complete, look at ways for students to prepare these records into an overview so that it can then be employed to form a good essay that is argumentative.